Why should congregations consider Disciples Church Extension Fund over other financial institutions?
Disciples Church Extension Fund is stable. We have been making loans to congregations since 1883. We understand your ministries and your history. We understand congregational life cycles. We pray with you and we stay with you. We can help you when banks can’t, including offering low and zero-interest loans for special circumstances.
What else does Disciples Church Extension Fund do besides make loans?
Disciples Church Extension Fund also offers building and architectural consultations, capital fundraising counsel, investment services and more. We want to be a partner in your ministry. It’s about Disciples working together to do God’s work.
What kinds of loans does Disciples Church Extension Fund make?
- Accessibility loans for renovations that remove barriers for people with physical disabilities
- “Green” loans for energy-efficient renovations and environmentally-friendly construction
- Interest-free loans for special circumstances or natural disasters
- New church loans for first building and property
- Construction loans for renovation, building repair and new construction
- Special project loans for community kitchens, green space and community gardens, thrift stores and more
- Property purchase loans for land and/or building
- Refinancing local loans
What does applying for a loan involve?
Check out the Loan Application Process.
What is the difference between a church loan and a residential loan?
Church loans are considered commercial loans; therefore, the process and requirements to secure a loan are very different. Commercial loans are evaluated based on cash flow and income available to repay debt. That is, congregations need to demonstrate an ability to pay back the loan. Lending institutions tend to consider commercial loans more risky; thus the practice of adjustable-rate mortgages, higher interest rates, and larger down payments, as well as a rigorous review of the organization’s—your church’s—financial statements.
What information is needed from congregations to apply for a loan?
Visit the Loan Application Process section for an overview of the process.
What loan interest rates does Disciples Church Extension Fund charge?
Disciples Church Extension Fund offers competitive rates. Ultimately, it depends on the kind of loan your congregation seeks and the length of the loan term. Our staff can guide you through various options, including special interest rates and incentive programs that can help you lower your interest rate.
How does Disciples Church Extension Fund set its interest rates?
Disciples Church Extension Fund is a financial ministry, and as such, sets loan rates based on the cost of funds.
How long does the loan process take?
It depends on your project, the amount of money you need, as well as time required to process third-party reports, i.e., title work, appraisal, etc..
Who is eligible for a Disciples Church Extension Fund loan?
- Disciples congregations
- Disciples Regions and Areas
- Disciples general ministries and the General Assembly
- Disciples colleges and seminaries
- Racial/ethnic Disciples congregations, including Assembly congregations
- Stone-Campbell tradition congregations
- Any organization listed in the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) Year Book and Directory
- The Christian Church in Puerto Rico and congregations listed in their annual report
Contact email@example.com to find out how we can partner with your ministry.
Or call 800.274.1883
En español: 866.534.1949